In Gnomon Greek Language and Culture School we have a holistic perspective in regard to teaching the Greek language (Ancient and/or Modern). Our purpose is our students to become capable of speaking, writing and reading Greek (Ancient and/or Modern) fluently, and, in parallel with that, to be creatively introduced into the Greek Culture in its whole course through the ages, without exclusions and transmogrifications – from Homer, Plato and Aristotle, from Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides to Saint John Chrysostom, Saint Basil of Caesarea and the other Greek Fathers of the Eastern Orthodox Church. From Dionysios Solomos, General Yannis Macriyannis and Alexandros Papadiamantis to Fotis Kontoglou, Giorgos Seferis and Odysseas Elytis. The means for the achievement of the aforementioned purposes are:
- the interpretation and the annotation of the texts
- the etymology
- the comparison of Ancient to Modern Greek
- the comparison of Ancient and/or Modern Greek to other languages
- the explanation of the grammatical and syntactical rules, instead of their mere memorisation
- practice in speaking, reading, listening and writing
In closing, let us remark that in Gnomon Greek Language and Culture School we fully respect the language and culture of all our students. However, it was our love and respect for the Greek language and culture that motivated us to begin. So we are inviting you to join us!